Rev 2.02/New pricing

curry curry at pair.com
Fri Jul 18 00:52:00 EDT 2003

>  > (However, I do still strongly oppose the "Made with" screen idea. Not
>  > because I don't want to promote Rev, but the place for that is in the
>  > About box and ReadMe. The problem with the promo screen is that it
>  > makes your finished software, if you do shareware or commercial
>  > software, look less professional. And that doesn't help anyone.)
>
>Commercial developers should buy Studio at least.

Well, perhaps this has the potential to get into a "Is so!"-"Is not!"
type conversation :-) but I would hesitate to make such a generality.
If a commercial developer doesn't like Studio because of its
behavior, then it's either Enterprise, Studio + Express, or two
Expresses.

Studio + Express doesn't sound so smooth, because they have different
upgrade policies and you would either have to not update Studio so
much or get a new Express often to keep up--so the price wouldn't be
that great in the long run. Also, it's nice to really do the final
compile on the platform too. So to me, if not for the splash screen,
the two Expresses would look better than Studio.

I'm still not sure if any of that will affect me or not, depending on
the new upgrade routes, I may be able to just do Enterprise instead,
and so, no problem. But if I was new to Rev, or if the upgrade routes
didn't work out, I would look hard at the Expresses before deciding
on Studio. That's one reason why I made sure to voice my opinion on
the promo screen.

The other reason I've already stated more than once, but I might add
to it--since what you said brings up a good point related to it--that
beside commercial software, promo screens aren't really acceptable
for shareware either--not anymore. And if you look at the variety of
products that use them right now, I think you'll see that they give
an impression that does not match, IMO, what one should be purchasing
with Rev Express. But enough said about that!

Thanks,

Curry