Rev 2.02/New pricing

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Jul 17 22:01:01 EDT 2003

> I don't think that they can honestly say that the studio product
> allows you to create applications for all supported platforms, since
> it's impossible to TEST the applications without using another one of
> the products.
I work 99.9999% of my time with Mac OS X. I have built a couple of apps
for Windows and each time have only had two problems: display
differences which can be seen by running the app, and script errors
caused by my using Mac-only characters like not-equals instead of <>.
So for me, it seems much less wasteful to pay only for one platform and
I would imagine that most people concentrate on one platform for
development.

>  Also, isn't it impossible to build a Mac standalone under Windows or
> Linux? That means that if you want to deliver for the Mac you will
> need to buy at least a copy of Express to do so (for more than thirty
> days), unless they are planning to create a new "Macintosh Standalone
> Builder" that is runs on the Mac and does nothing but build
> Standalones from existing stacks that were developed elsewhere.
It is impossible to build for Mac OS 9 or less from non-Mac platforms
since the files require resource forks which are not handled by non-Mac
file systems. As of Rev 2.0, it is possible to build for Mac OS X from
any platform.

> Overall, I think that the new pricing structure and restrictions are
> fair (the prices through August are MORE than fine - Studio, here I
> come!). I do think that that they need to make it very clear that
> there are actually many issues involved in delivering applications on
> other supported platforms when you are only allowed to develop and
> test on one.
Actually, I though Geoff's plan of buying a Studio version for normal
use, plus an Express version for cross-platform debugging, sounded like
the way to go it you do a lot of cross-platform stuff. Remember that
after you debug, you can re-compile using your Studio version, so you
don't get the Made with Rev at the end.

For my purposes, I have always wanted MySQL access which meant I had to
buy big bucks for the Pro edition. For me, the Studio edition is going
to be perfect and save me heaps. Any technical support I needed, I have
found on this list and although I got the printed manuals, they rapidly
became out of date, so I stick to the built-in docs. (For casual
reading, I'd love a version that could go on to my Palm. If anyone has
any great ideas how to do that, let me know.)

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au
http://www.troz.net/Rev/