Rev 2.02/New pricing

curry curry at pair.com
Thu Jul 17 18:35:00 EDT 2003

Geoff Canyon wrote:

>Obviously REALbasic and Revolution aren't interchangeable, but playing
>along for a moment, the Express edition is currently $75, and it
>includes access to MySQL, PostgreSQL, and other databases.

Yeah, I don't mean they are interchangeable, far from it and you
wouldn't believe how happy I am to be using Transcript rather than
M$-style BASIC, besides some other things; the reason I mentioned it
is because there are a lot of similarities in the pricing levels and
platform restrictions now. (I'm ignoring the intro specials for the
purpose of comparison, just as I would if it were the other way
around and RB offering a special.)

But actually, depending on what the new Rev upgrade fees will be,
although it starts off higher, Revolution will probably end up
cheaper for Enterprise users in the long term--RB Pro is 640 for each
one-year subscription, and I assume that's only editing on one
platform for two, while Enterprise is editing on three for three!
(Plus all the Unix varieties.) Definitely cheaper when we compare RB
Pro subscription with Rev Studio, which are more similar for editing
capabilities, assuming the one feature upgrade covers about the same.

Heh heh--so maybe Rev could list some example subscriptions savings
and feature advantages compared with RB over time periods! :-D

Express is intended for hobbyists.

But multiple copies might look good to people who don't fancy editing
on one platform for another with the Studio version. I think Express
should be *substantially* above the level to show a promo screen at
the end, and doing so will hurt both parties.

A version of Rev for 35, 50, or 75 dollars with the promo screen and
a license to make freeware only, maybe no database and other features
like sockets, password protection, etc., could make sense to replace
the time-unlimited Starter Kit. I bet that would appeal to some
people!

>Teachers and kids would be eligible for the educational discount, so it
>would not be $150. During the introduction it's not even $75.

Well, that's why I said "kids" rather than just students; kids at
home buy IDEs too.

Best wishes,

Curry