Movie with a mask?

Graham graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 17 09:57:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:52:16 -0700, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>Peterson Trethewey wrote:
>
> > I need to play a movie with a mask, like a clip
> > region, or an alpha channel.  I figured out how to do
> > this sort of thing with a picture, but movies are
> > totally different.  Is it possible to tell a player to
> > do this?
>
>Yes: set the alwaysbuffer of the player to true, then lay any masked image
>over the player.

But what if the movie requires a different mask per frame? - imagine for
example a windmill going round, so that the sails are in a different
position in each frame, and you want the user to see the background behind
the windmill except where the sails happen to be. Then AFAIKS you have to
have a kind of movie mask - is this perhaps an alpha channel for the movie?
I have tried to understand this in QT Pro but have got precisely nowhere.
Information about how to do this sort of thing (including whether it's even
possible) seems to me very hard to come by. My current solution is to avoid
the problem by replacing the windmill with a spinning disk, but I would
rather not.

Graham