Shell Problem - Windows

Mike McManus mcmanusm at KramerGraphics.com
Thu Jul 17 09:25:00 EDT 2003

I am having some major problems getting a return from windows shell
commands. I wrote the stack on my mac OSX using shell commands...runs
great, if at times a bit slow, because of the commands. After making a
few tweaks for paths and such on windows(98 or NT). I compiled and
tried it. It failed miserabley. I tried more changes, but got nowhere,
so I downloaded the windows runrev, loaded it at started working from
there. Without good results.

So to the message box I go. With the 2 shell commands below. The first
one properly returns the directory as expected. The second returns
nothing and no result. The path is correct

--works--
put shell("dir" && quote & "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-5.5.7-Q16)
--does not work--
put shell(quote & "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-5.5.7-Q16\identify" &
quote  && "Z:\InFlight.tif")

in fact though I can get the correct response manually from the command
line. I cannot using shell. I am almost certain it is either a timeout
thing or some quoting thing I am missing. Anyone with lots of Windows
command line experience?