Rev 2.02/New pricing

curry curry at pair.com
Thu Jul 17 02:19:00 EDT 2003

I thought that everyone had agreed (about ten thousand times) that
the great thing about Revolution and MetaCard is you develop on all
platforms. We all know that developing on one platform for another
without being able to make changes on both can be the pits.

This new pricing model doesn't just affect people how people can use
it according to their budgets, it changes what Revolution
fundamentally is.

I realize all change is shocking and first responses tend to be
pessimistic. I don't want to be too negative without hearing all the
options. But my first reaction certainly wasn't jumping for joy.

The old model was really neat. If it needed some adjustments, that
wouldn't be too bad. But I don't like to throw out everything and
start all over every year. (That's why I don't change OSs and
computers every time Apple has a trade show, for example.) I'm
planning to base most of what I do in Rev, I've spent a lot of time
building up stuff, and I'm hankering for a stable process, if
possible avoiding big surprises--they tend to wrench the stomach.

I also need to know that I can continue to afford to stay on the ship
that I jumped onto when I embarked on my journey; the ocean analogy
is a good one to show the situation a person would be in if the
licensing changes beyond his means! (Well, not lethal, but...)

I still hadn't renewed, but with the old system I was looking forward
to doing so when I could, for the next big release. I guess there is
still the question of the renewal fees. That might improve it a bit
or not depending on what they are.

But here are the points I want to consider:

1. The fee model is very similar to RealBasic. I guess that's okay.
(Although I came here trying to get away from RealBasic!) The prices
and update privileges are similar. But a few important points:
Realbasic Standard is 150 for CD and printed docs, and (as far as I
know, I haven't fooled with them much lately) no "Made with" message.
RB is 100 for license and downloads only.

I prefer e-docs, so that's no problem for me, although many people
are ravenous for docs printed out. (But when you pay 150 for
something, it shouldn't be like a cereal box offer for kids where you
get the nag version. "Made with" is popular for versions of software
ranging from free to 30 dollars. Even though it's the cheapest level,
150 is still way above the nag level and those customers have paid
adequately for control over their software including notices. You
might get away with it (and maybe open up a new market for Rev and
get more new people in) for a fifty dollar version with enough
additional limitations.

If I bought RealBasic (not planning to, but let's look at the
comparison since the price models look similar) I would definitely
get (two of) the license-only versions at 100 each. If I bought Rev
(from scratch, pretend I'm a new customer) that's 150 each--for the
same thing, download the app and docs. Now, you do get some value for
that 50 dollars each, but still, that's a consideration.

2. A more positive thought: Depending on the renewals, I may be
considering the 150 version, buying one for Mac and one for Windows.
That's fine. I would probably prefer that to the 400 version because
you can edit on both platforms. But a promo screen at the end would
jinx it up.

Even if the renewal fees were sweet enough to make it better for me
to use another version, I still think that would still be a good
option for people getting started.

But again, the promo screen--it's almost like a communication
breakdown and lack of understanding of concepts and viewpoints
between company and customer--not realizing that a 150 or 300 dollar
per feature version customer is a serious customer! Look at other
companies and products. The nag version (with the right limitations,
they need to be sufficient limitations and something to adequately
differentiate from the standard version and more serious
users--notably, probably not making products to sell for profit) is
totally acceptable to bring in people who are not doing something so
serious, at a different price range. Teachers, kids, hobbyists who
are not hard-core, freeware developers and non-profits--all these
would be perfect examples and Rev could possibly start a new line of
business there--but it has *nothing* to do with a version, no matter
what it's called, at the 150 range. Making this mistake could have
the potential to cheapen your product image and lose a whole set of
potential customers in a certain range of price and interests.

3. What will be the results of the changes in terms of defining
Revolution and how will people see it under the new setup? The old
definition was definitely: the ultimate in multi-platform, in all
aspects, at all levels.

However, I can understand that paying for platform privileges makes
sense. So if this works out, fine. I'm open to it, as long as the
issues such as #1 and #2 are handled well enough.

Well, there it is. I want to say congrats to RunRev on everything
that's happened lately! It's exciting. But think carefully about this
pricing model.

Thanks,

Curry Kenworthy