Scrolling Image-window

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Mon Jul 14 20:54:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 "Ray G. Miller" <rgmiller at pacbell.net> wrote:

> I asked:
>  > The balky photos all opened in Photoshop, Quicktime, PhotoImpression, or
>  > Appleworks. The attached folder contains one of the balky pix.
>  >
>  > Any ideas?
>
> We're stumped.  Works fine on Win32 and on UNIX systems, including the
> Darwin engine.  But it fails in both the PPC and Mach-O (OS X)
> engines.

Just FYI, I figured this out later that day: the problem is a
fundamental limitation in the MacOS API.  You just can't draw images
larger than 4096 pixels using QuickDraw on 32-bit depth screens, the
API just doesn't support it.  It's possible (but a *lot* of work) to
get around this by "tiling" the image into several separate pixmaps
and drawing them in sequence, but we have no plans to do this.  I'll
bug report the doc, but in the mean time your only workarounds are to
resize the images to be less than that width, do the tiling yourself
(i.e., use several image objects), use a lower screen depth, or use a
different platform.
  Regards,
    Scott