DB examples corrupted? and other questions

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sat Jul 12 20:25:00 EDT 2003

Apropos these discussions about databases, I downloaded Tuviah's
DBExamples to have a look at Valentina but attempting to open either of
the two examples provided produced the error "unable to open - stack
corrupted" (more or less).

Are these examples known to be working? I have Rev 2.0.1

Is anyone planning to write a wrapper for SQLite to be used with Rev.
Clearly, I am not but would be interested in using it.

Of the various DB options for OS X, it appears from a quick scan that:
- mySQL is free, fast and not overly friendly to manage
- PostGRE is free, not as fast but more complete an implementation than
mySQL
- Valentina is damned expensive for one user on one machine with no
intention to sell, but very fast (and Tuviah advocates it for
single-user databases)
- SDB is free, rev-speed and a unique DB language (yes, I know there is
nothing attractive about SQL anyway)
- ...and of course I could just do it in Rev as my DB size, while not
very small, does not push limits (<10,000 records, <10MB).

My need is for speed followed by simplicity of use. The design looks
like three principal tables in the DB and considerable use of live
searching (e.g. for each keydown) to link data.

Any experiences or commentary welcome.

regards
David