About MC/RR applications servers

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sat Jul 12 19:50:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 01:19, Alex Rice wrote:
> On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 04:56  PM, Pierre Sahores wrote:
> >
> > Just do tests and you will see as me that this works perfectly, faster
> > for example, than in using ASP's or PHP commands, because the linux
> > bash
> > optimisations, because the psql perfect design to work in command-line
> > pipe mode
>
> This doesn't make any sense to me. I would like to see the shell
> command you are using.

Hum... It's, even for you, freely, available on the Metacard archive
list.

> You're saying what you are doing is faster than PHP direct to
> PostgreSQL? PHP direct to PosgreSQL can have a persistent connection
> already open, and PHP (as apache module) is running already in memory?!
>
> Your way: have to open a socket from PHP, launch the shell, then launch
> the psql command line program, which THEN finally connects to the
> database.

Did you learn a little (aka lots) about WebSphere Weblogic or WebObjects
before. Have you any idea about how applications servers works...

> It absolutely impossible that your way could be faster.

Perhaps are you too sure of you about how unixes are handeling multiples
processes tasks. Did you ever watch at the processor idle average time
of a linux box ? To the end, you are not alone to think so... even if
my clients are, probably, not only too rich and stupid persons...

> Again, why are you even using Revolution instead of just going from PHP
> to PostgreSQL? Call me confused,

Did you ever ask you about the difference it makes to use real
application server instead of just including sql replies in web forms ?