XML integration [was]Re: Can Rev be used as server database?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jul 12 15:20:00 EDT 2003

Mark Brownell wrote:

> With regard to XML ... It is cool to have an XML parser in Rev.  But the
> potential is vast, and I hope to see some sign that Runrev have a strategic
> direction with this.  For example, it would be nice for them to integrate
> version control from within  Rev.  This surely must be of use to _all_ Rev
> developers.  And since CVS seems to be coming the standard and is open source,
> I see no reason why something like Geoff's XML stack couldn't be fully
> integrated into Rev along with a CVS module.  That way one could just convert
> a stack into human readable XML, store it in the CVS repository, and reconvert
> it back into a stack.

Why do you need to read an XML version of a stack?

> Furthermore, we could perform diffs on this so that we
> could see what had changed between two versions, etc.  Even if Runrev do not
> want the hassle of integrating with CVS, it would be beneficial if stacks
> could actually be emitted as XML to the filesystem so they could be diffed.

Couldn't you diff the binaries?

One use for stack-to-XML-and-back conversion that interested me a while back
was to be able to post simple stack definitions to the discussion list so
folks could run object-dependent code examples without having to create
objects manually.

While it's not much harder to make a more complete XML conversion tool, it
is much more tedious.

Am I the only one with an interest in this sort of stack-XML usage, or is
that where you were headed with the human-readability above?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation