Equivalence to the SuperCard function call "via" object

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 8 04:23:00 EDT 2003

Joël Guillod wrote:

> Thanks for the idea Ken but no this does not help!
>
> Yes, just try your scripts with:
>
> on mouseUp
> put "Hello Ken Ray" into tMyVar -- HERE IS THE MODIFICATION !!!!!!!!!
> put "Goodbye" into tAnotherVar
> answer value("getSomeData(1,the date," & tMyVar & "," & tAnotherVar
> &")",btn 2)
> end mouseUp
>
> and you will got the error:
>
> value: error executing expression
> Object    Button 1
> Line    put value("getSomeData(1,the date," & tMyVar & "," & tAnotherVar
> &")",btn 2) into fld 1
> Hint    button id 1003 of card id 1002 of stack "Untitled 1"
>
> I suggest to stop this thread discussion because there is no simple
> implementation. I will use the call instruction and request a new feature...

If call is what you need then of course you should use it.  But using value
to specify an object is generally straightforward when you take a moment
analyze any errors that occur.

In the example above the script quoted from the error string is different
from the one Ken posted.   There may be a problem with what was posted, but
there might also be a problem with the script that was used.

Solving the problem at hand will require seeing the script.  But hang in
there -- there are many flexible options at your dispoal, all using
tried-and-true techniques, and I'm confident you'll find them as easy to
work with as SuperCard's via once we get past this moment of unlearning.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation