URGENT MAC OS X Problems

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Mon Jul 7 15:15:00 EDT 2003

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 12:47  PM, Yves COPPE wrote:

> the stack is about 5.6 MBytes
> where can I see the amount of RAM allowed on MAC OS X ???
>
> my computer has 768 MBytes physical RAM !!!!

I would rule this out. You have plenty of RAM. Unless you are editing
some DVDs in the background or something :-)

Mac OS X uses it's "virtual memory" all the time. Virtual memory
includes physical RAM + disk space as overflow RAM. The effect is that
Mac OS X will never run out of memory, instead it will start paging
memory to disk and slowly churn churn churn until it's dead in the
water.

Use Utilities/Process Viewer.app to see how much memory an app is
using. **

Use the terminal command vm_stat for arcane information about the
virtual memory system.

** It might be hard to separate your stack's memory usage from
Revolution unless you build a standalone and run it.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com