use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #1569 - 14 msgs

Damon Luther dluther at myscratchdisk.com
Mon Jul 7 12:14:00 EDT 2003

It's a little weird when you get into this area..... One of the best
ways to make Chapter Tracks in a Quicktime movie is to set cuePoints in
an audio or video editor then save the file.  This puts a text track
into the movie with all the start times for each chapter, but does not
set them as chapter tracks. Then you can open the movie in Quicktime
Pro and get movie properties and select the text track in the pulldown
menu then select make Chapter tracks from the properties pulldown. It
will want you do associate the new chapter tracks with either the video
or audio tracks... choose either one and then save... BAM now the movie
has chapter tracks. I've tried some of the Chapter Track editors out
there, but they don't seem to create the desired results like the above
method does.

Director works with chapter tracks using cuePoint statements. Director
automatically reads the text track of the movie whether it's set to be
chapters or not, and then allows you to navigate the chapters based on
the cuePoints. iShell automatically shows chapter tracks as parameters
in it's UI.

The cool thing about Chapter Tracks and cuePoints is that you can write
scripts that are universal to any movie, allowing you to navigate
forward and backwards and even stop without knowing exact times. Very
handy and reusable. And way better than trying to read the text file
into an array.... and then use them.

I'm new to Rev so i don't know much about callBacks... is there a good
resource for this? do you think callbacks can be used in a similar
manner????

any help would be great

-d