Open driver?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Jul 6 23:09:00 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 09:24 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

>> It depends whether your USB interface mimics a printer port. If it
>> does (like port 1 on Keyspan or similar adapters), then you can
>> connect perfectly.
>
> This might not be the case on my Keyspan single port high speed
> adaptor, USA-19QW, or else I have something blocking it.

I learned a little more for my case.  Due to a mental block on my part
I didn't see the checkbox to have the Keyspan adaptor emulate the
printer port in Keyspan Serial Assistant control panel.  (BTW, for you
Windows PC folks, there are two classical serial ports on the Mac and
one is named printer; this is not related to the parallel port on
Windows PCs.)  I set that up and now an open for "printer:" takes a
whole second to fail (syserror=-98).

So, on my Blue & White Mac OS 9.2 with no printer port that I know of:

Keyspan not plugged in--       open file "printer:" indicates success
Keyspan plugged in--           open file "printer:" indicates success
                                   but it does not open Keyspan
Keyspan in & set as printer--  open file "printer:" indicates error
after 1 s

Dar Scott

   Dar Scott Consulting     Programming Services     dsc at swcp.com