Table Grumps

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 16:42:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:04:07 EDT, HyperChris at aol.com wrote:
At 15:24 -0400 2/7/03, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

>You sure are correct about the anemic documentation.
>
>I interpet that line '1,1:3,17=A0 =A0 =A0=A0 Decimal:1' to be ....
>    format cell 1,1 to 3,17 using 0.0 format (1 place decimal)

[OT: the "=A0" stuff seems to have crept in through some different
concept of 'plain text' in our respective email clients - I guess]

>That IS working on my little timecard spreadsheet project. That is a work in=
>=20
>progress, so sorry if some of it isn't up to snuff, but I thought you might=20
>like to see it so I posted it at ...
>    http://www.christophercomputers.com/rev.html

Yes, I've seen it (if it's "Table Fun") and it's illuminating - I
didn't mean to criticise it at all. My real point was that it's not
much use having a language feature that requires the level of
research you've put in, just to understand what that feature is and
does; and of course there's no guarantee that you'll get to the
bottom of the whole thing as you're basically guessing.

On 2 Jul 2003 13:18:22 -0700, "Edwin Gore" <edgore at shinra.com> wrote:

>I haven't worked with them enough to know for sure, but my *guess*
>is that the term "decimal" refers to the type of tab-stop, not the
>format of the content.

I don't think this can be right, because the choices are Prefix,
Suffix, Decimal, Scientific, Date - which look like conventional data
formats to me.

BTW, referring to my earlier question about nomenclature, if I tell a
RunRev table that I want to format cell 1 of column 1, the reference
is shown as

  1,1:1,6

I still don't get it...

Graham