clipboardData & PNG & JPG

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Jul 2 15:28:01 EDT 2003

Hi sims,

> I am using the following to place a JPG onto the clipboard:
>
> set the clipboardData["image"] to url ("binfile:"&tPhotoChoice)
>
> When I paste the clipboard into another app it appears to paste
> a PNG file which is much larger in k than the original JPG.
>
> Is there any way to place the original JPG (and not a larger PNG)
> onto the clipboard?

i am not a techie so my explanation my be a bit naive :-)

I think that JPG is a compressed fileformat (sic!) which means that the
original image data (24 bit per pixel, no alpha channel in JPGs) will
get decompressed when put into the clipboard or opened in memory
by image editors.

When i open a JPG in Photoshop, the info also reports the big filesize.

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
www.major-k.de