Goings on behind the scene

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Jul 1 17:35:00 EDT 2003

I had a button with the following handler.:

on mouseEnter
  beep
end mouseEnter

Sure enough, it beeped every time the mouse entered.

But I left RR to respond to an incoming email. I noticed while in
Eudora that I was getting occasional beeps, every time the mouse
entered a certain area. I finally tracked it down to the Run Rev
button *underneath* Eudora. When the mouse *in Eudora* was over the
button hidden *in Run Rev*, Run Rev was still at work reading
messages and registering beeps.

Actually it happened regardless of the program. This is spooky. I
guess I knew that other programs were always at work, out of sight
and out of mind; else how would I have known that a fresh email had
arrived. I had also run into this fact earlier when I was getting
inconsistent results from a "wait 0" command.

But it certainly came as a surprise that Run Rev is polling the mouse
while I am preoccupied elsewhere.

Oddly enough, this beeping button does not respond to the MouseEnter
(or mousewithin) when it is covered by another button within Run Rev.

Live and learn; live and blunder into things.

Jim

P.S. Scott:  Check out Run Rev preferences. Under "general" there is
the shortcut: "Command-Option edits scripts" This work when the
browse tool is over any control--but not for the card.