Speaking of voices

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Jul 1 10:59:01 EDT 2003

>Message: 8
>Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:41:55 -0400
>Subject: Re: Speaking of voices
>From: Ken Norris <pixelbird at interisland.net>
>To: <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>>  Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:18:04 -0700
>>  From: Jim Hurley
>>  Subject: Speaking of voices
>
>snip
>
>>  on mouseUP
>>  revsetspeechVoice "Bruce"
>>  if revIsSpeaking() then
>>  revstopSpeech
>>  else revspeak me
>>  end mouseUP
>----------
>The above won't work properly because you needed set the stop condition
>first, otherwise it just starts up the speech sequence on mouseUp, which
>will kill and ignore any previous condition.
>
>This is normal AFAIK with conditional statements. The above is simply out of
>sequence, so it just keeps starting up from scratch like it did the first
>time.

Ken,

I confess I didn't follow what you are saying here. Why would one
need to set the stop condition first?

Without the line:

  RevSetSpeechVoice "Bruce",

  the mouseUP handler works as expected. It would appear that that
line affects the conditional statement that follows. Why is that
normal AFAIK behavior? And, of course, what does the acronym mean?
:-)

Jim