OT: FooBar (was Bad Factor)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jan 31 17:11:01 EST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 02:37 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> Correct, but it's more interesting than that. The metasyntactic "foo"
> was adopted into the "fubar" phase as "foobar". But foo is the real
> interesting character of the bunch. The Jargon File has a lengthy and
> interesting entymology of foo.

They may be related, but I have never seen these associated.  "foobar"
is an arbitrary symbol.  I have never seen it related to fubar.  I
expect somebody liked the idea of their being related and associated
the two.

I first saw foo and foobar in some lisp code in the 50s.  It seems like
I have seen early lisp code that used foo without a related foobar.
I'm not sure, but I think I have seen it in a logic paper from the 30's
or 40's, maybe earlier.

My guess is that foobar is not related to fubar.

Dar