license.rev corruption?

Ray Bennett smilingeyes at mac.com
Tue Jan 28 15:56:00 EST 2003

I had my first Revolution "crash" this weekend.  The crash resulted, I
believe, in my license key being corrupted, and I think that's probably
it.   Anyway, the detail below is a little long winded, but insight and
feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Scenario:
Was using the development environment running an application I'd built.
   When the application is executing there were 5 stacks open.   All
were "main" stacks.   The primary stack is used to input data which is
used to retrieve matching data from one of other open stacks, and then
update that stack based on new information that was input.

Each of the stacks may, based on the data it was fed, generate printed
output.   For all of the stacks but one, when printing a card, the card
is always printed into a rect, usually the rect of a hidden field on
the first card of the stack.  The remaining stack (STACK D, lets say)
uses cards which are always half-page in size, and therefore it prints
the cards as a "job".

The target printer was an HP 4100 NT.  Printing via Appletalk.  Primary
machine was PowerBook G3 Pizmo running OS 10.2.3.    The "Odd Things"
happened using Classic Rev 1.1.1 AND Rev 1.1.1 for OS X.    Odd Thing
#1 happened when running on OS 9.2.2 on a PowerBook G3 Lombard.

After running for several hours (in the Classic environment), Rev hung
during a "Print Card" command - actually one that was generated from
the keyboard.   I waited several minutes to let things clear
themselves, and they didn't.  I used the force quit function, but then
wasn't able to restart revolution at all.   That's when I switched to
running Rev for OS X.  This ran fine for a couple more hours, then the
same thing happened, and I couldn't get Rev to run at all.

Restarted the box.  No effect.  Eventually had to fileshare the stacks
to another machine to get up and running.    When I got home last
night, I downloaded Rev Classic again, and it ran fine.  I need my pro
license installed to run my app so tried copying my license key over
from the old area and restarting Rev.   It wouldn't start.  So, I
simply put the new license key into the old Rev area, and presto, we're
running again.

So, the $50 question, is the license key actively used while running in
the development environment such that it can be corrupted during a
"crash"?   If so, does this have any implication on standalone apps?

Just a little spooked.
Thanks.
Ray