To grab or not to grab

Matt Denton matt.denton at limelight.com.au
Tue Jan 28 00:07:01 EST 2003

Hi List

Firstly I want to thank Howard Bornstein and Chipp Walters for their
comments on my last request (Stack ID and Alt ID issue).  I was glad to
learn about Alt ID (thanks Howard), however I reverted to 'named stack
references', accepting that it is easier to manage renaming references
than guaranteeing a unique unchanging ID, even with Alt ID.

Now a quick question, one that again is probably simple but I can't
work out:

If you use the 'grab' form to grab an object, it stays contained within
the grouped object, cropping at the group's edges (desired behavior).
However I want to move a disparate set of graphics, some cropping to
their containing group, others floating above this group.

If I lock screen and set the loc of the various objects (some inside a
group), the containing object ignores and/or expand their group!   I
have worked out a smoke and mirrors version but I'm not too happy with
it.

Anyone know how to get a contained object to respect its group
boundaries (and crop) without using the 'grab' form?

Cheers and many thanks!

M@
Matt Denton