RevDB

Yennie at aol.com Yennie at aol.com
Mon Jan 27 23:26:01 EST 2003

OK, I see where you are coming from. I agree that scripted solutions can be
better than adding a lot of different functions to the API. I hadn't
considered the usefullness of column functions for binary data. That is true.

For the record, the only reason I am so concerned about not scripting this is
because my product is web-based, and performance is a big deal. For a lot of
apps, I'd have no problem scripting the solution.

If you really will add the currentrow() functionality, may I suggest that
there be a parameter for how many rows to fetch? It just makes for nicer code
to write something like:

put revdb_fetchrows(theCursor, tab, 50) into theRows

than

repeat 50
    put revdb_currentrow(theCursor, tab)&cr after theRows
    revdb_movenext(theCursor)
end repeat

At this point I'm just making suggestions for smaller scripts... those two
probably aren't far apart in terms of performance.

It would also be useful to allow an optional parameter to revdb_movenext(),
so that one could hop, say, 50 rows.

Just trying to eliminate the repeat loops from my code now, it's great for
the psyche =).

Of course if you decide against it, I can benchmark some of the scripted
solutions and see how they stack up.

Brian

<<