No scroll wheel (newbie stuff)?

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Mon Jan 27 20:18:01 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 "Ken Norris (dialup)" <pixelbird at interisland.net> wrote:

> I can't say I agree with the reference. I think it (scrollwheel support) is
> a staple these days. I mean, so much work has gone into other smaller stuff
> that could be worked around, I guess I was just shocked that it wasn't
> there. It's a part of both Windows and Mac OS,

Correction: it's most assuredly *not* part of Mac OS and there isn't
even any API support for it.  What you're seeing with mouse wheel
support on OS 8/9 is the result of an elaborate hack by the mouse
driver that actually mucks around in the internal data structures of
the OS looking for a control to manipulate at the current mouse
location.  Since MC/RR uses Appearance Manager instead of Control
Manager on MacOS 8/9, the mouse driver's hack just can't work.

Mouse wheels *do* work on Win32, MacOS, and Linux systems because
there is OS API support for this hardware feature on these platforms.
  Regards,
    Scott