RevDB

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Mon Jan 27 15:41:01 EST 2003

On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 01:20  PM, Yennie at aol.com wrote:

> This is all well and good, but every database that RevDB supports does
> have rows.
>
> What confounds me is that RevDB has an API to fetch columns, but not
> rows. It seems arbitrary, and less useful to me. Of course I may be
> missing something, but I'm still not seeing what that is! Even if
> there were a function to fetch *all* of the columns, that would seem
> like a step in the right direction.

The concept of rows is _the result of your SQL query_. Learn about the
SELECT statement in SQL. The general form is

select [columns...] from <table> where [conditions...]

select * from my_stuff   				# returns all rows and cols
select id, name, date from my_stuff 		# returns 3 cols and all rows
select id, name, date from my_stuff limit 1 # returns 3 cols and 1 row
select id, name, date from my_stuff order by name limit 1 # returns 1
row, based on sort
select id, name, date from my_stuff where id = 12345 # returns this
specific row

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com