No scroll wheel (newbie stuff)?

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Mon Jan 27 14:01:02 EST 2003

On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 11:24  AM, Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:

> ??? Are you saying RR vertical scrollbars do not support scrollwheels?
> figured the Mac versions would support mouse scrollwheels through the
> OS and
> ordinary drivers, same PC's with Windows, just like virtually all other
> software.
>
> I was thinking scrollwheel support would be native to RR, but maybe
> needs to
> be switched on somewhere. If it isn't it certainly ought to be, because
> everyone I know uses the scrollwheel all the time. It's an everyday
> part of
> computing.
>
> Just thinking out loud.

I agree it should be added, because I use a scrollwheel too. However I
wouldn't take it for granted that virtually all other software supports
scrollwheels. That's like saying all games should support
force-feedback joysticks. ;-)

When you get into cross-platform development, there is even less
support for scrollwheels. It takes time for them to catch up with new
hardware. For example Java did not support scroll-wheels until JDK 1.4.
AFAIK Flash, Realbasic, and others may not support scrollwheels yet
either.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com