Find Item's Line w/offset

mark mitchell cowhead at mac.com
Fri Jan 24 16:22:01 EST 2003

Jeanne wrote:

>>  So is there
>> anyway to convert from item number to a line number of a container?
>
> set the wholeMatches to true
> put itemOffset(whatToFind,theContainer) into myItemNumber
> put the number of lines in (item 1 to myItemNumber of theContainer) \
>    into theItemLine

That's beautiful in its simplicity.  Thanks Jeanne!  For those
interested in cross-referencing and documentation this might be an
interesting example.  There is no reference to the above under 'items',
'itemoffset' , "lines" or "number".  I already knew 'put the number of
lines' but it never occurred to me to try it here.  A kind of
einstellung effect perhaps.

mark mitchell
Japan