VS: newbie: how play sounds in RR

Klaus Major klausimausi at mac.com
Fri Jan 24 04:56:01 EST 2003

Konichi-wa Norris-san,

> Hi folks,
>
> May I jump into this one?

Sure, may i see your ticket, please? ;-)

>> You can also use a player-object to play sounds, even without QT.
>> Then you might have to place that player in some backgroud that
>> is available on every card.
> -----------
> Well then, is there a way to check for a default player, then create a
> subroutine path to open and play a file with it? Seems easiest with
> QT, but
> I don't know Windows very well.

I am not sure if i get you right...

You can check some multimedia-features with the "mcisendstring".

But i don't know how that exactly works or how one can use that to see
what
formats are being supported on windows.

Here is a script from an old "mcisendstring" i found in my archives.
Don't know if it is still available somewhere.

This will list some info about the multimedia-possibility on windows.

on mouseUp
   put mciSendString("sysinfo all quantity") into xMax
   put empty into fld "deviceNames"
   repeat with x = 1 to xMax
     put "sysinfo all name" && x into commandString
     put mciSendString(commandString) & return after fld "deviceNames"
   end repeat
end mouseUp

This is what it returned on my PC (Windows 98SE, Internet Explorer 6):

MPEGVideo2
MPEGVideo
avivideo
waveaudio
sequencer
cdaudio

I recently de-installed quicktime from my Celeron 466 (yes, my
development pc ;-)
and could play mp3, wav, au, avi (even divx!), and mpg videos (hate to
say, but they
played much smoother than with QT ;-) without problems in players.

(But still don't know exactly the relationship between the list above
and the
supported formats, except what's obvious... MPEGVideo2 = MP3 ???)

I just set the filename of a player to these files and it just worked.

But that does not support "controllers", which is something one can
live with...

Hope that helps a bit...

> This kind of thing is important to me, too.
>
> TIA,
> Ken N.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards