VS: newbie: how play sounds in RR

Klaus Major klausimausi at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 05:16:01 EST 2003

Hi Esa,

>> ..
>> This will NOT work, if you are using QuickTime in your stack.
>> I found out that you have to choose: QT or "play ac..."
>
> yhmm if I sahe that editor in the future I have to assume that
> everyone dosen't have QT installed.

Although QuickTime is a if not THE leading multimedia extension, it is
still not
so common on windows as it should be...

You can assure to NOT use QT at all (installed or not) by adding this
line in your
"preopenstack"-handler:

set the dontuseqt to true

>> You can also use a player-object to play sounds, even without QT.
>> Then you might have to place that player in some backgroud that
>> is available on every card.
>>
>> I use this technique and it works fine for me.
>
> How I do that? Never done it before.
> Can player object paly sounds lie to door, weapon, monster and so on?

With clever scripting, it can even brew fresh coffe ;-)

Just a joke, but sure it can play any sound.
(But i am afraid that "weapon"-sounds will only be heard by users aged
18 and older :-D
Another silly joke, i can never resist...)

Create all necessary player-objects on one card, set their filenames
(use relative paths please,
or your customers might not hear any sound...), group them, hide them
and place that grp
on any card you like. That's all...

Then you can start them by:

start player "the rusty door sound"

> Ahhhh I liked Hypercard simple "play that and that" -comamnd :-)

I hate to say, but HC is dead!
So say farewell to it ;-)

> can sound file play that way if it is imported into stack?

Sure, but that will bloat up the filesize of your stacks...
Remember that a stack is loded into memory completely !

But there might be something else wrong if the "play"-command does
not actually play these sounds. Does doubleclickick the sounds
start the win-media-player and play them correctly ?

Try the players, you will not regret :-)

And please drop a line if you need further help or assistance.

> Yous
> Esashi

Regards

Klaus Major