Passing Lists II

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 19 14:05:01 EST 2003

--- Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net> wrote:
> >But "send "showText"&&quote&theText&quote to me in
> 20 milliseconds" works.
>
> The implications of this to me are:
>
> Any variable that could possibly contain a comma
> must be enclosed in
> quotes before passing it in a send command.
> --
>
> Rob Cozens

The thing is, Rob, that the engine will interpret the
varibale first and 'unpack' the string, so unless you
place the quotes around it, you are sending :
  showText I think, therefore I am
So if you add a second parameter to showText, you
might be able to pick up the rest of the text ;-)

Seriously now, surrounding it with quotes makes sure
it preserves the argument as a string. This is also
one of the reasons why you can't 'send' arrays without
serialising them.

Jan Schenkel.

=====