True round buttons

thinkertoys thinkertoys at cyburb.com
Fri Jan 17 11:14:01 EST 2003

This is nothing earth-shattering but may help someone in the future.  A
few months ago there was a discussion re. this w/ no satisfactory
conclusion.

I recently needed some & came up w/ a decent solution: use PNG images
which can have transparent areas which do not trap mouse events - then,
instead of icons, simply make calls to the imageData of the PNG for
different mouse events - as in:

on mouseEnter
  set the imageData of me to the imageData of img mEnter
end mouseEnter

w/ similar handlers for mouseUp, mouseRelease, mouseDown, mouseLeave the
result is a true round "button."

Eric Holst
Thinker Toys, Inc.