On backup (was: Argh! where have all my stacks gone?)

Thu Jan 16 21:03:01 EST 2003

We had this problem with projects in HyperCard, because the media was
kept in the same file as your code.  Usually, code is what changed
the most, and that is the smallest of the assets.

I am not sure what 2.0 has, but because product stability is
*paramount* as is protecting your assets, I would propose several
items (unless they are there)

1) The ability to save your project in an XML file.  This could
include media (converted into text) or not (would store references to
media on disk)

2) The ability to script Rev to do this (from say AppleScript, or
some other outside source)

You could then (as I do with CodeWarrior) export your project to XML
and check that into a CVS source tree.  You get the benefits of
keeping versions of your project, looking at the differences (how
many times have you wanted to see "ohhh I deleted a line from that
button by accident!) and also give you a way to back up the project
sans the media.

You could then use Backup app of your choice.  For me, I would run my
shell script that gzips the file, gpg encrypts it, moves it into a
folder where the .mac backup app then backs it up later.

It is a little involved, but I know we had no such beast in the HC
days.  In fact, talk about flashback, I had a script to dump a stack
to a tagged file format!  I remember it failed if you used object IDs
on recreation (because I could not specify them) but it was a backup
to stack corruption issues.

Amazing how we seem to chase our tails....

Anyhow, I can see projects being so large that just disk copying is
not enough.  It is great for daily backups, but if you want long term
archivals and not have to worry about corruption creep, a text based
solution is better.

I thanked the Codewarrior gods when they allowed for XML export......