Completeness of Revo Docs (was Re: path of a 'closeStackRequest')

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 16 16:06:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:26:39 -0800 Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>It matters enough to be documented.  Thinking as someone who would be coming
>from a strong SuperCard background such as yourself, I found the answer
>following this path:
>
>1. Select "Revolution Documentation" from the Help menu.
>2. Click "For New Developers"
>3. Click "Experienced HyperCard or SuperCard developer"
>4. Click "About Revolution for SuperCard Developers"
>    - it's in the section titled "stacks, projects, and windows":
>
>   "Like a project, the mainstack is in the message path
>    of all objects in the substacks."

[...]

>I can honestly suggest that
>a good cover-to-cover skim through the docs of a new environment will pay
>for itself many times over.

OK, I know I can't expect miracles and the documentation is pretty
good by most standards, so I stand corrected. I certainly don't want
to insult Jeanne. In fact I am willing to work hard on this, but I
have not printed out all the documentation. When I started using
SuperCard 3 (I think it was) I read the manuals from cover to cover,
twice. Enough info stuck in my brain to prevent me feeling lost ever
again. Maybe I should repeat the experience with Revolution: as an
on-line user, I often find that the Transcript Dictionary (my main
source of info) doesn't completely cover a topic, but then it may be
unreasonable to expect this. On another list I recently pointed out
for example that the usages of 'in' and 'seconds' in the Transcript
statement

  send "someMessage" to "somewhere" in 5 seconds

weren't covered in the Dictionary; similarly the entry for
preOpenStack seems to me to be somewhat incomplete. Instead of
grumbling, I should have read more around the topic...

Graham