Introduction

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jan 15 17:59:02 EST 2003

Recently, "James C. Wall"  wrote:

> I was also interested in knowing if it is possible to control a DVD
> player in the way that you could control a videodisk in HyperCard?

If you're talking about a consumer DVD player, one workaround method would
be to use something along the lines of home automation software to control
an IR emitter that talks to your DVD player.  I recall seeing one or two
home automation apps written in Hypercard (mostly for X10 modules) but with
a little research and digging, you might be able to find the combination of
software and hardware you need.  On the other hand, the fact that many
desktop computer systems have DVD playback capability might make the above
setup irrelevant.

If you want to control an *internal* computer-based DVD player, Apple's DVD
player is controllable via AppleScript, and I would expect players on
Windows to have some type of access via MCI.  You can see below for
reference to Windows videodisc control; if available, DVD control is
probably similar, if not identical.

http://www.tactilemedia.com/info/MCI_Control_Info.html#videodisc

[Big document -- wait for it to load completely]

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design