Advice on Registration Approaches

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jan 12 18:25:00 EST 2003

Igor de Oliveira Couto wrote:

> Having reached a certain stage in the design process of my apps, I am
> starting to realise that I will have to choose a consistent method of
> registration for my users - which I hope I should be able to use for
> all apps I produce in the future.
>
> Being totally inexperienced in this area, I was wondering whether some
> of you seasoned commercial developers could share some of your
> experiences and approaches to handling user registration - and avoiding
> piracy to some degree...
>
> What methods of registration have you tried? Were there procedures that
> 'seemed sound' in the drawing board, but that proved to be
> cumbersome/costly/annoying to the user, and therefore are best avoided?
> Are there any registration methods that are particularly suited to
> Revolution apps?
>
> Are there any 3rd-party products/programming libraries/externals that
> truly help?

A lot of folks speak well of Armadillo, and I know that Element5 also has a
wrapper mechanism, but I've used neither.

What method are you currently using?

There's a great collection of articles at:
<http://www.softwaremarketingresource.com/piracy.html>

Also, this article and ensuing discussion at Ambrosia is worth the read:
<http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/newsdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=
14&forum=*The+Ambrosia+Times+Newsletter&DaysPrune=25&article=000052&startpoi
nt=>

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation