Any MacWorld Attendees On This List

Klaus Major k_major at os.surf2000.de
Sat Jan 11 09:33:01 EST 2003

Hi Try,

> On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 02:08 PM, Klaus Major wrote:
>
>> If you want some real applications, MC/RR is the only choice.
>
> Not to throw water (or petrol) on it , but I do think that there have
> been an application or two made with Director.

No doubt.

> Also, Director is on version 9,

In fact it is 8.5 with OS X compatibility ;-)

> RR has yet to deliver version 2. Questioning Macromedia's commitment
> to the
> product, and comparing it to that of a rather young company would seem
> to be
> a bit of self delusion.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I like RR a lot - but Director is not a tool to
> look down upon.

Sorry if my mail looked like i was looking down upon director.
That was not my intention.
(One of the drawbacks of not being a native english speaker
in a posting like this...)

> Many people have made entire careers on that tool,

Believe it or not, even i made my first money by creating several
mulitmedia cds
with director. Since i am completely selftaught and having had nothing
but a little
bit of HC background (i got my first LC with the full version of HC,
those were the days...)
the learning curve was immense.

So my comments about director were just im comparison of the scripting
language.

>> Amen! Lingo is just plain ugly by comparison.

This was Judy's line i was referring to.

> and it continues to represent a large portion of my company's income.
> Director MX on OSX is really quite a nice tool, and the scripting does
> not come off as an afterthought.

Director is for sure a mighty scripting-tool which even supports OOP.
(Very high learning curve, at least for me, still have no idea :-)

But it is just the "elegance" :-) of the scripting language i was
talking about.
Example:
The "everyday" tasks like writing to a file require "heavy" scripting
in director
(and limited to one special folder, if i remember well...) and a
one-liner in RR.

MM/RR is simply easier to use and to learn.
And less expensive :-)
(I spent about 800 Euro a year to get the upgrades for the
mac AND win in my "director years". Much money for a small company like
mine.
1 CEO, 1 programmer, 1 graphic designer, and all 3 were me :-)

> And, in the event that an application
> needs to run inside a browser, there is nothing anywhere near as
> powerful as ShockWave.

Fully ack.

> Both Director an RR have a place.
> In many ways they play in completely separate leagues. I'd rather not
> choose which
> one to keep and which to dismiss as "not as good."

>> Agreed entirely.  But Director's probably a better animation tool and
>> RR's
>> probably a better application builder.
>>
>> Judy

I fully agree to Judy in this last sentence :-)

> Troy

Regards

Klaus Major
k_major at os.surf2000.de

P.S.
Now back to work with what tool ever ;-)