Window whiteout

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 17:02:01 EST 2003

Folks, I am completely foxed by the following problem. I can't find
anything doing the Google searches or in the Revo documentation. So
apologies if this is a well-known issue which I have missed.

This problem shows up on two different Mac G3s running Revolution
1.1.1 under MacOS 9.2.2 (my usual development platform). Revo has
plenty of RAM to work in (currently 72Mb). My monitor is set to
Millions of Colors (screenDepth 32).

I've imported some stacks from SuperCard using the tools provided by
the Revolution folks (of course these stacks were windows in
SuperCard). One of these stacks (containing just one card) has been
successfully imported with all its graphics - that's what I thought
would happen for all my stacks and cards. However, now if I open any
other translated stack and show say the first card (doesn't **have**
to be the first), all I get is a window with the correct title bar
and an absolutely white interior with no features at all: yet the
Application Overview shows that there are many graphics and indeed
some images on the card, and if I click the mouse at random on the
tabula rasa, the Properties Palette shows that I am clicking on
various objects. These objects include really simple things like
rectangles: they have their visible property set on, they have a
border, etc etc. I can change all the colours in the Color Palette
for any of these objects so that not one colour is white, and I can
force them to the front, but the result is still the same. I can't
see the difference between the card that worked and the ones that
don't.

If I use the Revolution tool palette to draw a new rectangle on the
white page, I can see it, and I can adjust its size, curiously
slowly; but when I delete it, the grc doesn't actually go away until
I force a screen refresh by bringing another window to the front and
then bringing my original window back. I have no idea if this problem
is related to the (far more serious) first one.

I notice that if I open SuperEdit (the SuperCard editing environment)
and copy one of these objects to the MacOS clipboard and attempt to
paste it into a card in Revolution, I get some kind of paint image,
rather than a field, grc etc. I am not thinking of this as a bug,
since there can be no automatic right to expect the object to
transfer unaltered - but the interesting point is that at least I can
see the pasted object.

I really do not know what to do apart from laboriously reconstructing
the objects on the various cards, which means that the transfer from
SuperCard will turn out to be far more onerous than I guessed it
would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Graham