Arabic, CE and ME versions...

manuel companys mcompanys at mac.com
Fri Jan 10 11:46:01 EST 2003

Le Thursday, 9 Jan 2003, à 03:46 US/Central, tkuypers at pandora.be a
écrit :

> - FileMaker takes use of Unicode fonts, but we have to use special
>   CE-fonts for countries like Poland or Russia, because of the
>   special chars.

Normally you don't need Unicode for WE, CE or Cyrillic unless the
language is not included in the correspondent ISO font map definition
(latin 1 for WE for instance) you can also find fonts following other
ISO definitions evenß though Apple doesn't use this possibility,
preferring to switch to Unicode; I guess they are right: it would just
be crazy, for instance, to take care of latin 3 (turkish, rumanian,
esperanto, maltese) which has had few fonts developed, most of them
featuring many SCII addresses not respecting the ISO guide lines!.

I do not have a good experience about Windows but I would be surprised
if there were not a bunch of fonts for lots of  languages out there.
Defining the keyboard map for an ergonomical input is certainly not so
user friendly as with mac's resEdit, but it should be possible.

I agree that Unicode is certainly the solution for the future, but now,
I think one should consider that it might be other solutions; at least
for some program types, concerning certain groups of languages, and for
  most users outside the United Stattes, that will have to use slow
modems and old computers for many years.