PEF and machO was Internationalization

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 9 10:50:01 EST 2003

manuel companys wrote:

> Thank you for your explanation, Jeanne.
>
> Mach-O looks more ... "à la Unix" to me. Am I right?

My understanding is it's more of a compromise between the NeXT folks and the
Mac loyalists at Apple.  These two camps slugged it out heavily during the
evolution of NeXT into OS X, and some issues still have the long-term plan
remaining to be defined (such as the fate of creator codes).

By having folders that pretend to be applications, Apple can have bundled
resources and metadata without relying on the resource fork.  As a
Mac-specific feature, the dual-fork paradigm introduces new challenges when
porting from UNIX or NeXT.

While Classic is still supported the file system that understands resource
forks remains in place.  But with Mach-O bundles as the long-term solution,
resource forks will eventually be phased out.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation