PEF and machO was Internationalization

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Thu Jan 9 06:10:01 EST 2003

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 03:12  AM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> At 11:54 AM -0800 1/8/03, manuel companys wrote:
>> Mach-O looks more ... "à la Unix" to me. Am I right?
>
> I'm actually not sure of its history. But I think the Mach-O format may
> have started out as a NeXT thing. (Anyone know?)

Yes that's right. Mach-O is the basis of the entire Mac OS X system.
There a lot of bridges available for calling between other different
code formats like Classic apps (CFM/PEF), Carbon/Cocoa, and Java.

For the runrev developers I imagine it opens up more possibilities for
doing stuff with plugins, bundles, frameworks on OS X.

The advantage for us end users is that we will be able to write
externals using Apple's free developer tools, and not have to use
Codewarrior. Hurrah!

Speaking of externals, has anyone written an external for the
eSellerate engine? check out eSellerate.net.

They have a nice C API which I've used. Currently they have included in
their SDK the following Mac: *REALBasic*, Codewarrior; Win: C++ lib,
ActiveX control.

eSellerate unofficially supports Apple Project Builder (gcc) and I've
used the C API on Mac OS, in an Objective-C/Cocoa app. I'm sure it
would be possible to write a Revolution external out of the SDK.
However, eSellerate  is Mac and Win only, no Unix platforms.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com