text encoding q, problems with networked folder and IDE

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Thu Jan 9 05:27:19 EST 2003

At 11:44 AM -0800 1/7/03, Alex Rice wrote:
>3) I remember reading somewhere that one should open the stack using
>Revolution IDE on the target platform, then save the stack, to convert
>the text encoding of all the cards. Is this correct? Anything else to
>get the text encoding converted correctly? I'm mainly interested in
>fast startup times.

That's right. From the docs:
------
When you save a stack, its text is encoded using either the ISO character
set (on Unix or Windows systems) or the Macintosh character set (on Mac OS
or OS X systems). If you open the stack on a system that uses the other
character set, Revolution converts all the text in the stack to use the
current character set, and the process takes noticeable time if the stack
contains a great deal of text in fields or scripts.
-----
So the text is converted automatically when you open the stack on the other
set of platforms (Mac OS/OS X versus Unix/Windows), and you just have to
save it to get the benefit.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/