Printing what you can't see

Ray Bennett smilingeyes at mac.com
Mon Jan 6 18:16:01 EST 2003

Dear List,
I think I've figured out the answer to the printing question I posed a
few days ago.

Specifically, the problem was that the data area of interest on my card
was 800w x 1638h.  The visible window (rect of the stack) that I view
the card through is usually about 800 x 1000, and I scroll down to the
bottom parts of the card using a scrollbar placed on the card.

The first card in my stack contains a "printpreview" field, whose rect
I was printing "into" in order to try and get a scaled version of my
card out to the printer.  This field was 432w x 720h I reported that I
was seeing results I didn't expect (which was certainly true).
Without bothering you with all of the misinformation regarding what I
did see, here's what I discovered was required to solve the problem.
If this rehashes some previous list wisdom, I apologize.

The aspect ratio of the printpreview field needs to match the aspect
ratio of the card your printing as precisely as possible.    So, the
aspect ratio of my original card was 1638/800 = 2.0475.  The aspect
ratio of my "printpreview" field was 720/432=1.6667.   The printout was
cropped proportionally to the differences in the  aspect ratios.   When
I changed the aspect ratio of the "printpreview" field to match the
aspect ratio of the card, it worked perfectly.

This, I think, makes pretty good sense.  Am I understanding what I'm
seeing correctly?

Finally, I know this comment belongs on the improve-rev list, but it
would be useful if there were a primer on printing in the
documentation.  There are lots of idiosynchrosies in Rev printing
behavior (judging from the list and from my own experience) that really
seem to deserve a document section of their own.

Fwiw.
Ray