setting pointer location

Phil Jimmieson P.Jimmieson at csc.liv.ac.uk
Mon Jan 6 10:17:01 EST 2003

>In a message dated 28/12/02 2:31:39 AM,
>use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com writes:
>

>Having just posted a defence of moving the cursor in the context of measuring
>reaction times,  I will now cite an example of when it is *very* irritating.
>My three button logitech mouseware does move the cursor to default buttons.
>Mostly OK, but sometimes it does it when an unexpected dialog pops up and I
>had just decided to click somewhere in the window which previously had the
>focus.  The dialog is dismissed when I didn't even get the chance to read it,
>let alone decide my response.  Grrrr.

Hi David,
I'm a bit late in replying to this (looong Xmas holiday). How about
displaying an object before you display your set of buttons and
getting the subject to move the mouse onto the object (or clicking it
if you prefer)? If the object is placed such that it's in the centre
of the not-yet-visible buttons this'll have the effect of getting the
cursor into the correct place, but allowing the user to do it so not
lose control of the mouse...
This is an approach I took in a hypercard timed psych test with a
touch-screen where I wanted the cursor out of the way of the buttons.

--
Phil Jimmieson  phil at csc.liv.ac.uk  (UK) 0151 794 3689  (Mobile) 07976 983164
Computer Science Dept., Liverpool University, Chadwick Building, Peach Street