wordOffset, repeat loop, speed?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Jan 5 16:34:01 EST 2003

Hey Mark,

I've worked a long time in Director, so I know what you mean. You can get
"the ticks", but Rev works better in milliseconds. I like to use custom
properties instead of global variables sometimes to hold temporary values,
so try this if you need to maintain the timer between handlers:

on startTimer
  set the timer of this stack to (the milliseconds)
end startTimer

on endTimer
  set the timer of this stack to (the milliseconds - the timer of this
stack)
end endTimer

This way, you can do things like this:

on mouseUp
  startTimer
  -- do a whole bunch of stuff
  endTimer
  put the timer of this stack into elapsedMS
end mouseUp

If, on the other hand, you need to just time things in a single handler, you
can do this:

on mouseUp
  put the milliseconds into tStartTime
  -- do a whole bunch of stuff
  put (the milliseconds - tStartTime) into elapsedMS
end mouseUp

Unfortunately Rev is so new there aren't any 3rd party books. Hopefully
there will be soon, but in the meantime there's a great list here, and you
can get a bunch of scripting tips and downloads at my site:

     http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/revolution.htm

Hope this helps,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software