Defining Custom Objects

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Jan 3 17:58:00 EST 2003

Hi Igor

> I seem to vaguely remember someone mentioning that it IS possible to
> define a new object CLASS in Revolution - so that if I update the
> class, all objects that are based on it are automatically updated.

At some wonderful day in the future Raney will give us some more powerful
tools to use for this kind of thing but for now I use library scripts.

What I usually do is use a custom property to trigger a certain behaviour.
For example, libXMLText checks to see if the object is a field and then if
the xmlText property is not empty and then if the xmlTree property is true
or (false or empty). If the field isn't using the xmlText property then
messages just get passed. All operations are on the target and any data that
needs to be stored is stored in the custom properties of the target.

If the xmlTree property of the field is true then it generates a
tree/outline complete with icons and the correct flipper for each platform.
If not then it searches the object hierarchy from the target down for a
custom property set named StyleXML that contains style translation info for
each xml tag. It combines any StyleXML properties it finds CSS style then
does the xmlText to htmlText translation.

There are other ways to do all this using front/back scripts but this is the
way I like until we get a parentObject property.

Cheers

Monte