Standalone Data folder

Robert Presender rpresender at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 2 11:03:01 EST 2003

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 08:27  PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> on 12/30/2002 8:51 AM, Robert Presender at rpresender at earthlink.net
> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to make the Data folder(and all its components)
>> invisible and only have the app as a result of making a standalone
>> for Mac and Windows?  Using the procedure of Tip 1 of RR site.
>>
>> Is there a reason that the Data folder(and components therein) be
>> visible?
>
> It may not be necessary, but it's polite to leave it visible if it's
> installed on the user's hard drive.  For starters it can't be thrown
> away or
> backed up if it's invisible.  And if you have a support issue which
> requires
> the user to remove or replace a file, you'll have to ship them a
> specialized
> tool to do it since it otherwise won't be possible.
>
> I may have a stronger reaction to invisible file than others here, but
> personally I never use 'em and distrust apps that do, wondering "What
> do
> they have to hide?"  Now and then I boot ResEdit to hunt down and
> remove
> invisible files from anyone other than Apple.
>
> Macromedia, Adobe, Microsoft and other major players ship apps which
> require
> a folder of data, components, etc., and all these major players leave
> their
> folders visible.
>
> Of course, if this folder is on a CD-ROM it's a non-issue, as the user
> can't
> modify them anyway and it doesn't affect the user's system.

Your points above are well taken.

> Forgive my coming into this conversation late:

Richard, nothing to forgive.... your valuable inputs are always
welcomed and instructive.

>  What is the benefit of hiding this folder?

It was my thought that the visible Data folder would be opened by the
user and create some confusion and comments that the product didn't
work.

Before yesterday, I used the procedure of Tip 1 of RR site (as I
interpreted it) to build a standalone (using 1.1.1r2).  I used one
stack file which included substacks to the main stack.
The result was a standalone folder which contained a Data folder and
the application(?) icon.

Upon opening the Data folder, it contained all the substack files.
Upon clicking on these files, it appears that they opened to the first
card in which the user can enter data but no other action takes place.
The application(?) works as expected, user data is saved and appears
correctly upon re-opening of the app.

The above may be mute now as far as OS X is concerned.  It finally
dawned on me that I must be doing something wrong. Re-reading all the
comments made  on this subject,  yesterday I tried (snip of my post msg
11 of #982):

<< I have tried the suggestion of putting a dot(.) before the name of
the
data folder.  It seems to work ok.
I rearranged my initial single stack file which contained the main
stack and its several subtacks into:

1.  Stack File A (contains only the SplashScreen).

2. Stack File B  contains all the previous substacks (user entries have
to be saved)

During Distr Build (v1.1.1),  I selected File A as the main stack and
used .Data (dot Data) as the name of the folder for substacks.

The standalone folder now consists of File A which, when clicked,
doesn't open  (I then trashed File A) and doubled clicked on File B
which opened as if it were an appl and entered data.  Upon reopening
File B my entries were saved.

Haven't been able to get it to work with 2.0 A15 r2.  Will await 2.0
beta.  Hopefully, 2.0  will have more documentation about the builder.
Maybe even a tutorial. >>

Will try the two main files approach using OS 9.2.2 and that it will
produce a Data folder that doesn't reveal the substacks.  Will use my
PB (after dusting it off), which doesn't have OS X, as a test base.

Also hopefully, I am  getting on the right road.

Richard, thanks again for your input.  Have a great New Year.

Regards ... Bob