setting pointer location

Alan Gayne alanIra9 at mac.com
Wed Jan 1 23:14:02 EST 2003

Happy New Year David,

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 10:27  PM, David Vaughan wrote:

>  In normal use there is no significant difference between having it
> modal or modeless but the latter is a slight advantage to me where the
> user can pause to adjust something else, affecting a calculated field,
> before completing the dialog fields.

...and I assume that pause would be the one that "refreshes" (ouch!
I'm really show my age with that one!)

Seriously though, that's an interesting variation on my tried and true
technique.  I've never used a modeless dialog so I'm not sure, but
isn't there a "danger" of the dialog getting "lost" behind the main
window by the inexperienced user (Hey!  Where'd that thing go?).

If you want the user to be able to "adjust" one or more previously
filled field, you could easily create your own "ask" dialog which
includes a pair of browser style navigation ("Prev", "Next") buttons
which could be used to backtrack modal dialogs.  One could also include
an "exit" button which would allow the user to exit the dialog sequence
while giving the user a warning dialog that the required data entry
sequence was not completed and, "would you care to try again?"
(Actually, I've never before thought about such a custom "ask" dialog,
but now having done so, it seems pretty cool - so it's now on my
to-do-list)

Being able to easily create such custom dialogs is one of the things I
REALLY like about RunRev.

Regards,
Alan