menu paradigm of Rev/MC and other goofiness -- like quotes

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Feb 28 05:44:01 EST 2003

>> That helps, but look how much easier this is to read and debug:
>>
>> put "I said, 'Let's go!'"
>
> I believe there are contexts in which a string literal can have quote
> marks.  I don't know what they all are.

FWIW, my equivalent of Richard's standard "q" script is this, which tends to
end up in the mainstack script of many of my projects.

    function encTQR t --> t
        replace "" with tab in t
        replace "`" with quote in t
        replace "¶" with return in t
        return t
    end encTQR

Needless to say, I develop on the Mac; not sure how this would play on
Windows.  In case this hasn't survived email, the three characters are delta
(option-J), 'backwards apostrophe' (under the tilde key on most keyboards)
and paragraph symbol (option-7).

Hence I can say
   put encTQR("He said `What is this 'Revolution' of which you speak?`")
or
   put encTQR("idmailing namesortnameaddress¶") into datafile
or
etc...

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866