newbies: beware script locals

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Wed Feb 26 22:30:01 EST 2003

>> From: erik hansen <erikhans08 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Through use of custom props, script
>> locals and ordinary variables, I have been able
>> to relegate globals to very rare usage,
>
> when would you use "ordinary variables" instead
> of "script locals"?
>
>> when you actually want a non-persistent
> entirely
>> global variable. Rev is quite rich in scoping
>> and persistence options.
>
> "persistence" as a programming term is a new one
> for me. how would a global variable non-persist?
>
> TIA

Erik

Perhaps I used some casual expression. By "ordinary variables" I meant
those whose whose scope was a single handler (declared or first used
within it) rather than "script locals" which are declared within a
script but outside handlers, thus giving them a script-wide scope and
session persistence - they retain their value until the application is
closed or the script recompiled.

A global variable nominally has script-wide scope but is also available
in any other script in which it is also declared, affording it
application-wide scope. A global has session persistence only, like a
script local, where a custom property persists through a stack close
(with save if changed)) and re-open. A custom property can be tied by
definition to various objects from a control to a stack, which
nominally suggests an intended scope but in practice they can be
referenced from anywhere. without any other declaration.

Hope this clarifies my meaning.

regards
David