Rough day on the Revolution front

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Wed Feb 26 14:08:11 EST 2003

**********
> Subject: Re: Rough day on the Revolution front
> From: Ben Rubinstein <benr_mc at cogapp.com>
>
> on 23/2/03 9:55 pm, Ken Norris (dialup) wrote
>
>> I have a 128mb CF card in the PCMCIA slot as a formatted volume assigned to
>> Virtual Memory, which gives it 116mb useable VM. I've heard the transfer
>> rates of those things are pokey.
>
> I don't know how this helps (I don't think it does!) but using CompactFlash
> for VM is horrible.  Flash memory is fast to read, but s-l-o-w to write.
> You might actually do better to use the hard disk for VM (and if necessary
> move stuff like the Rev docs to Flash if that helps makes space).
----------
The HD is quite full. Still it shows that it can use enough to come up with
96mb total RAM (I think), which apparently isn't enough to run RR. If I open
the docs it crashes. With the CF card as RAM it doesn't, i.e., it just
slowwwws down. The CF card is all that's standing between an operable system
and a total stall.

The problems don't get bad until I open the docs. If I moved them to the
flash card, I think it might remain the same.

OTOH, I'd like to try that, but what will happen if I drag the docs folder
out of Rev and put it on the CF card?

Best regards,
Ken N.