menu paradigm of Rev/MC and other goofiness

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 17:07:01 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:17:58 -0500 "Ivers, Doug E" <Doug_Ivers at lord.com> wrote:

>Does anyone else besides me think that the way menuItems are
>implemented is goofy?
>
>[...]

Yes, coming from SuperCard I thought it was fairly goofy not to have
a proper 'menu' object type, but I find with practice it doesn't
worry me any more and it seems pretty flexible. However your second
point

>Second, the use of character codes in the text of a menu item to
>create checkmarks and hot keys seems particularly archaic and
>problematic.

Yes, this has proved a bit of an irritation for me because I want to
be able to have multilingual menu items, with the actual item text
created at setup time according to the language of the environment,
and it turns out that the parameter passed with 'menuPick' when a
menu item is selected is a text which **doesn't** contain these extra
character codes even though they have to be present in the button
(menu) contents. This means that for each language I have to keep two
texts per item, one for putting into the button as a menu item and
one for putting into the menuPick handler as the text of the item as
seen by the user. Still, once you've understood it, it ain't so bad.

Graham